With the availability of free movie downloads online increasing drastically, there’s more people than ever downloading and watching movies on their PCs. It can be annoying watching movies on a small PC screen while sitting on a crappy PC chair so here’s a guide on how to connect your PC to your TV and watch movies just like you would watch a DVD.
1. First you need a graphics card that has one of the ports shown below on it, check on the back of your main pc box. (If you don’t see a similar port then forget connecting your pc to your tv.)
This is what a S-Video port and cable look like:
This is what a VGA port and cable looks like:
This is what a DVI port and cable looks like:
This is what a HDMI port and cable looks like:
2. Check the back of and around your TV for the same port which you found on your PC (VGA, HDMI.. whatever). Most of the newer plasma and LCD TVs come standard with VGA and HDMI usually. If you have a older TV then take a look for the S-Video port as most older TVs have these ports. If you have a S-Video port on your PC but don’t have one on your TV then you can try using a scart converter just like the one right here.
3. Now that you’ve found the ports on your PC and TV you must buy a cable to connect the two. Most local PC/electronic stores will stock these cables and you can always get them by doing a quick search on eBay.
4. Plug the cable into the port on your PC and on your TV and make sure your TV is on the correct source (VGA or HDMI etc). The easiest way to do this is to use remote control, check it for a ‘source’ button.
5. Now on your computer… Right click on your Desktop and go to ‘Properties’ and a screen should pop up just like the one shown below. Click on the ‘Settings’ tab at the top of that box.
6. Next you need to select ‘screen 2′ as shown below, this is actually your tv that your selecting. You then need to check the ‘Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor’ as highlighted in red below.
If you don’t see a ‘screen 2′ on the box like below then check the cables are plugged into both your TV and PC correct, restart your PC and then repeat step 5 above.
You should now see your PC desktop wallpaper showing on your TV.
7. Play and movie on your PC, make sure your movie player is not on full screen, drag it to the left or right of your PC while looking at your TV and you should see the media player on your TV. Once you have dragged the movie player onto your TV you just need to make it full screen and you’ll be able to watch all your movies on your big screen from the comfort of your sofa!